Friday, August 5, 2011

Smog city


Today I will congratulate two people in this family: myself and Dad.   This morning I aced my math test.  You said it, one hundred percent!  I will get a special treat that is currently TBA.  My Dad finally found a solution to the internet problem.  Now we will be able to post my blog without email and a separate page for pics!  Also, we have access to anything the Chinese government has blocked.

Today we went to the Forbidden City.  The city was built during the Ming Dynasty.  That was a time Period from 1368 to 1644.   It was built to protect the Emperor himself.  The last Emperor, Pu Yi,  lived in the palace from the time when he became Emperor when he was only three.  He ruled from 1908 through 1911.   He stepped down in 1911 because of the Chinese Revolution of 1911.  He was allowed to live in the Forbidden City until he was 27.  He was then banished from the Forbidden City when in 1924 the city was turned into a museum.  When we visited this magnificent palace, a guide toured us through the city.  He was not a very good guide and we did not get to see very much.  I did notice how the Chinese people revered dragons due to the fact that the dragon was their common decoration.
 
We had a delicious dinner on the way back from the Forbidden City.  We had two plates, a meat plate and salad plate.  The meat plate contained garlic and peppered beef and I loved it but it was hard to eat with chop sticks.  The vegetable plate tasted like soap and I had only one bite.

Today was a relatively good day.  I liked acing my math test for the first time!  However, the Forbidden City was hard to enjoy because it was so hot, smoggy, and I could not understand the guide.  Beijing is full of smog, is hot, and we have never seen blue sky.  I can not wait for Surmang.  I hope it will be nice and cool there! 

Thank you for reading Rohan Geographic!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on acing your math test! Glad it will be easier to post to your blog. I continue to enjoy the daily updates about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rohan, i was born in the year of the dragon.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_dragon


    Dragon occupies a very important position in Chinese mythology. It shows up in arts, literature, poetry, architecture, songs, and many aspects of the Chinese conscience. The origin of Chinese dragons is unknown, but certainly pre-dates the written history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I logged on to see if, by chance, you had been able to blog from China after all. And I was rewarded! Congratulations to both you and Tim. I love reading about your adventures and seeing your pictures. I hope you will be able to keep in touch from Surmang as well. Andrew told me that Surmang is where Cat was back in 1991?
    Beijing was hot, hot, hot also when Andrew, Svet, and I visited there. Andrew bought me a bottle of water that had been frozen and I rolled it around on my face and arms until it thawed. That cooled me off - sort of.
    We have returned from cool Maine to 106 degrees in Austin. Ugh. The day before we flew home, Debbie and I walked from the Portland harbor area on the trail that follows old narrow gage railroad track (Eastern Promenade) to the park where I remember your Mom and I taking you one time I visited you in Portland.
    Much love to you all,
    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rohan, Good work on math test. Ask your Dad if he remembers that as a child there was a hand puppet at his house called D Ragon. Thanks for comments and fine photos. Love, Grandpa Morgan

    ReplyDelete