Sunday, July 3, 2011

My Water Experience

This morning I woke up in a tent in Northern Slovenia.  Slovenia is a country bordering Austria and Italy.  It includes part of the massive mountain range called the Alps.  I slept in long and hard!  I tend to sleep better in tents than in beds.  We set up our tent in a kayak camp by a river called the Soca.  The river has pretty blue water and some fun, big rapids. 

After breakfast, I tried a kid’s kayak that Maren and her boy friend, Norbert, brought for me from Germany.  It is the same style of boat I use at home, but it was too small.  So, we had to go to the kayak outfitter and get a boat that fit me.  The only boat they had was fatter than what I am used to, but I was able to make do.

When we got on the water, we started with some easy rapids with 1 foot waves, and few rocks.  I had not used a boat for awhile, so I was a little rusty.  Then we worked up to bigger drops and 2 foot waves.  The last rapid had a long wave train at the end with 3 foot waves.  I had a blast!  Boating reminds me of sledding because it is scary and fast.

After boating we stopped by a good ice cream place were Maren goes after Kayaking.  I ate three scopes!  I also ordered a sweet, cold lemonade.  Today was so fun that we might stay here another week.

I am writing this entry on a bench by our camp reception center.  We were lucky that the camp has internet.  Today was the best day of the trip so far.  Thank you for reading Rohan Geographic!

Pictures of the kayak camp:
Our Camp and the Alps

Our Tent

Maren and Norbert's Truck

Our Clothes Lines

3 comments:

  1. Row row row your boat... Any 'Row'an jokes out there? Ha!

    Very beautiful - great pics! Can you take a picture or two of the river?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Andrew,
    I will try to put some pictures up of the river. The only pictures we have available, though, are a step up from my kayaking level. We broke the waterproof camera...
    Thanks for commenting!
    Cheers,
    Rohan Geographic

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rohan,
    I love the pictures as well. I looked for Harry on the clothes line. I guess he didn't get wet on your kayak adventure above. Or maybe he was permitted to sleep in that day?

    Love, Doris
    PS: I don't think your Mom is unsupportive of your having a dog. After all, she grew up with animals and knows how much fun they are. She just wants you to take responsibility for some of your animal's care!

    ReplyDelete