Monday, July 4, 2011

Differences Between Traveling and Being at Home

This morning my dad woke my mom and me up by accident.   At home, he is always the one who sleeps in.  It is amazing how one’s personality changes during travel.  As another example, Mom is normally less strict about homework at home, but now mom’s much stricter.

Before we all hit the water today, we had to go to the grocery store to buy food for breakfast.  There are fewer food storage areas when traveling than when at home.  One does not get a big refrigerator, and all, while traveling.  The only refrigerator available to us now, is the small refrigerator that Maren and Norbert brought in their truck.  This morning, we filled the refrigerator with milk, bread, cheese, yogurt, and last, but definitely not least, Nutella.  It has been awhile since that appeared in my life!

When we finally got boating I heard the sad truth that Dad and Maren were going to  boat some really hard water while I did math.  What a bummer.  Well, you know, in a couple of months, kids at home are going to be working 6 hours a day, while I only work 2 or 3.  Plus, they don’t get to travel.

When Maren and Dad came back from having a blast, Mom and I jumped in our boats and joined them.  I was in a bad mood for the rest of the day.  I do not think it was the math, though.  I think I just woke up on the wrong side of the tent.
The Soca River
The Soca River

I am currently doing my blog in our peaceful little tent.  I am writing off-line because the internet is not working.  This entire blog may be a day late if we do not figure out the internet, which is spotty in the campground.  Thank you for reading Rohan Geographic!
Inside Our Tent

3 comments:

  1. Rohan,
    Good pictures - as usual. The Soca River is beautiful.
    The pic of inside your tent reminds me that I wanted to share that I got a new synthetic bag for my trip down the GC. It is also green - made by REI and cost nothing because I used my REI refund to pay for it.
    I started my summer spanish class today. It was much fun. We are reading children's books and giving book reports on them. There are a surprising number of new (to me) words in a 3rd grade book!
    Love, Grandma Doris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for commenting, Grandma! I am excited to hear that you are learning Spanish. I think I will start soon also for our long stay in South America.

    Cheers,
    Rohan Geographic

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful river. Thanks for the pictures! Did you make it to Cologne when you were in Germany? I'm here now for about 24 hours. I flew in from Almaty yesterday.

    ReplyDelete