Friday, March 2, 2012

A Day in the Haze


Today we drove for six hours straight and made some progress on our long road trip.  We have almost made it half way across Argentina and have uncertain feelings.  Every day, we stop by the side of the road, question what we are doing, and sometimes redirect our course.  So far we have ventured East and North, and have only just left Patagonia.   Even today we pulled to the side of the road and questioned our course.  Thankfully, we continued on our same direction, North.  Not to say our road trip isn’t amazing.  Today we saw some different and exotic scenery and weather, as well as some cool and weird animals.





Along our drive, we gazed in awe at the amazing views and haze.  The scenery first started to get eerie with the haze.  A thin layer of distant fog created coatings of blown out whiteness upon the distant cliffs.  The fog and clouds also gave rise to chills in the many dells that we crossed during the long drive.  When the haze eventually cleared, we were again held speechless.  Large spires and tall cliffs, towered like natural ruins and made eerie shadows over the cold road.  We charged on with alacrity and braveness.  Soon the cliffy land scape turned into a wide wold, with draw dropping and glittering lakes braking up the small and rolling hills.  Along the drive we also passed a wide marsh with some queer animals.






In the middle of our drive we stopped the car, and strained our eyes to see small pink figures about a furlong from the road.  We crossed the old fence that bordered a wet marsh land.  The pink figures were flamingos!  We silently crept up to about hundred meters away from the flamingos.  Sadly, the moment we looked out from our hiding place behind a  group of tall plants, the flamingo’s pink wings lifted, and the flock of about twenty birds disappeared into the horizon.  On the way back to the road, a little bit disappointed, we saw another queer animal movement.  A line of hundreds of ants carried sticks and plants three times their size back to their hill.  The ant hill was more like an ant hive.  It was made of sticks, and a white, flaky, and dry substance unknown to me.  It was built up from the ground, and looked a little bit bigger than a bee hive.  I think ants are intelligent, but I don’t think they have any respect for personal space!  They are all so close together, and their small, little feet tickling and pushing upon one another creeps me out! 








Today was spectacular.  I think I saw some of the best scenery I have seen so far in South America.  I also liked the feeling and the chill of the pervasive haze.  I was amazed at the beautiful flamingos I saw, if only from a distance. We have settled down in a B&B in the town of Junin de los Angles.  I wonder what tomorrow will be like!

Thank you for reading Rohan Geographic!           

4 comments:

  1. Personal space
    is lost in the haste
    of the ants to build their big nest

    They work hard all day long
    My god, aren't they strong
    Ferrying loads without rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good poem! I am excited to climbing and hiking with you in the Sierra's when I get back!

      Delete
  2. Great post, Rohan! I tune in now and again to what you are up to and your writing and photos keep getting better! Part of the process of the rigors of travel must be hateful at times, I suspect (or at least tedious) but we applaud your patience and insight. We just had four feet of snow and finally the skiing has been great! I have posted you a few times but they seem to drop off so I hope you get this one! Love to the three of you and keep up this wonderful blog! peter and kristy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for feeling for me, Peter and Kristy. Read the next post. I was feeling pretty bad last night. I am much better now!

      Delete