Friday, January 20, 2012

Leaving Murchison

Today, I returned from another overnight kayak trip down the Matakitaki River with five other kids and then said goodbye to Murchison.  I was exhausted and said farewell to all my mates from the course.  We had an amazing time on the trip and became good friends.  My boating is improving and I now have a very good hand roll.  I slept well last night save the horrendous sand flies.

We finally left the kayak school and the town of Murchison!  We hopped in the car and drove for about three hours to a town called Hokitika on the West Coast of the South Island.  We drove along the beautiful, deserted coastline that reminded me of a tropical paradise.  Tonight, we are staying at my parents’ friends’ house a little ways out of town.  Keith and Jo are very nice and the house is more like a cabin.  It is in the wilderness and they have an outside fire pit and an outhouse.  For dinner, we had goat meat from a goat that Keith and Jo had raised.  I was impressed by their generosity and effort to feed us their own home cooked food.  The house is warm and I am getting sleepy.  I am excited for another day in New Zealand.



Thank you for reading Rohan Geographic!  

2 comments:

  1. Just now, I found both Blenheim and Hotkitika on a Google map. What beautiful country you all are traveling through. What's next?
    Stay out of Christchurch!
    Love, Grandma Doris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like really beautiful coastline. Any more kayaking adventures to come?

    ReplyDelete