Monday, April 30, 2012

A Day of Frustration


When we woke up this morning, we saw that we were docked in the harbor of a small tourist town called Port Elizabeth.  I was exhausted from staying up late the night before.  Last night, the boat was rocking violently back and forth and the drowsiness side effect of the sea sickness medicine I took still lingered in the morning.  So, as you can guess, I woke up on the wrong side of the bed, and seeing a town where I expected another remote island didn’t help.  Today we had three activities, a tiring hike in the morning, a rather unappealing snorkel experience, and a hot hike back from a giant tortoise research center.        

When I realized that the first activity was a hike, I felt a little bit frustrated because the hardest thing for me to do while I am in a drowsy state is none other than a hike.  Luckily, I was too tired to take my annoyance out on anybody.  Nonetheless, I was able to stay upright for the hike.  Finally, the hike ended and I almost collapsed into the dingy leading away from the small lava island.  I was excited that next we would go snorkeling.




Sadly, I did not connect the dots that we would go snorkeling in the harbor.  We snorkeled and saw sea lions, penguins, and quite a bit of trash.  The sea lions and penguins were really fun to see, but I normally prefer a more remote snorkel environment.  In fact, I could smell the exhaust from all the motor boats in the water. 

The next activity took place in the hot sun.  The plan was to take a dingy to the dock and a bus to a giant tortoise research center.  In this research center, the scientists breed endangered giant tortoise subspecies and introduce them into the wild.   I saw many cool turtles but did not like walking back to the town in the hot sun. 

 



Well, the Galapagos trip is almost done and tonight we are going to have Susie’s birthday party.  Tomorrow morning we wake up in harbor of Puerto Ayora. But tonight is the last dinner of the cruise!

Thank you for reading Rohan Geographic!     

No comments:

Post a Comment